Burger King sat me down today to eat four Whoppers and a New York Pizza Burger. I’m glad I realized I didn’t have to finish each one.

They invited me to the new flagship Whopper Bar in Times Square to meet one on one with BK’s Chef “J” Jason Sullivan and Vice President of Global Product Marketing and Innovation John Schaufelberger. I was little nervous to come meet them by myself …if I was being suckered into something, like how police capture criminals by telling them they won a boat and to come pick it up. I know what I’ve said about their fries and their hash browns.

They were cool though. Besides letting me try Whopper Bar exclusives –Meat Beast Whopper, California Whopper and BK Black & Bleu Steakhouse XT, they let me create my own. I went for spicy –jalapeños, Cajun sauce, angry fries, pepper bacon, cheddar and lettuce and tomato. It was neat to create my own, but it really didn’t stand up against their pre-tested creations.

In retrospect, the BK Black & Bleu XT tasted the best for the first few bites, but became overwhelming with the bleu cheese …or at least I should’ve finished it while it was warm. I think I’d enjoy finishing the Meat Beast Whopper with its bacon and pepperoni. It was surprisingly good for the couple of bites compared to restaurant burgers I’ve had as of late.

The visual highlight was the New York Pizza Burger. I expected a small burger with tomato paste, but this was a huge burger the size of a small pizza. “…four flame-broiled WHOPPER® patties topped with pizza-lovers’ favorites – pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce and Tuscan pesto sauce – all on a 9 ½-inch sesame seed bun.” It’s not bad. Tastes kinda like pizza, but also like a burger. The pesto herb sauce gives it a nice flavor. They should think of adding that sauce to the Whopper menu. Don’t know if it’ll work on a regular burger, but it’s sure tasty.

The sharable NY Pizza Burger ($12.95) is a New York Whopper Bar exclusive and doesn’t come out until September. It looks to be an attraction not only for tourists, but also for the locals that are into crazy ideas like donut burgers and Double Downs. It’s not quite as wacky, but still fun …I just don’t know how they lay four Whopper patties on it, cut it into 6 slices without noticeable meatless gaps?

I did ask the head chef as I was walking out “How do you get all the onion rings the same size?” He said something about it either being pieced together or cut short. I’m not sure I buy that. I really want to think they take out the very one sized ring and throw the rest away.

36 Responses

1. donuts4dinner

I feel funny about calling that thing a bun once it’s cut into triangles.

But I’m still going to eat three of them come September.

And then go bowling at Port Authority, which is obviously the only other reason to go to Times Square.

2. stevenp

BK onion rings? Uhhhh…. don’t you know that they are minced onions in a fried ring-shaped breading crust? They are not whole rings of onion at all. Did you even eat one? The difference is obvious.

Jason Lam

Well I haven’t had them in over 10 years, when my friend Neill asked that question. I could’ve swore when we were eating them, they had a real onion ring inside it. But maybe we were just stupid kids.

Jason Lam

…Also the BK Executive Chef did mention how every french fry they make is the same size. I never noticed that.

3. Tio Wally

You poor bastard. There you were eating BK Experimentsˇ while I was enjoying a Double-Double® from In-N-Out … without you. (I still think it’s nothing short of criminal that In-N-Out has all that great onion, deep fryers and labor yet doesn’t make onion rings. Perhaps there is some theological reason; the heiress/controlling interest is very fundie.) You’re timing was great but perhaps next time you can work out the geography a little better.

Abraço, Wally

4. Laura Trowbridge

Hi Jason. I want to write about this Pizza Burger for Digital Journal. Could I use one of your photos if I give you credit? I only get pd like $3 an article, so I can’t afford to give you money – so sorry. If you don’t want to share, it’s okay. I’ll just get a generic BK logo from Flickr if you’d rather.

Thanks,
    Laura T

5. » BK Delivers Pizza Burger in NYC

[…] think, burgermeisters? Would it be worth a try on your next trip to the Big Apple?(Photos 1,3,5 by Me So Hungry; photos 2,4 by Gothamist) Share and Enjoy:Related posts:Burger Topped PizzaCPK: Cheeseburger […]

6. sylverblog.com

Hello my family member! I want to say that this post is awesome, nice
    written and include almost all important infos. I’d like to see extra posts like this .

7. http://www.healthybodywithahealthy.weebly.com

In conjunction with a clean diet and lifestyle you are on
    your way to long and healthy life. The FDA recommends that we obtain 60 mgs
    of vitamin C per day. Eating foods that are high in ant aging
    anti-oxidants can help you keep the aging process from occurring as quickly
    and they will provide you with the energy you need as well.

8. Wilfredo

A good way to analyze if a certain style of gold jewelry is profitable and beneficial for
    a business is to understand your competitors prices.
    Pat your self on the back for not only saving
    enough money to invest but for also taking free cash advice.
    It also reduces the risks entailed since the value of the rare metals are less unstable compared
    to paper assets.

9. http://www.nutritionandsupplementblog.wordpress.com

You can choose to increase the consumption of these foods or you can choose to take a beta-carotene supplement.
    It was a pretty crushing blow; I’m not going to kid you.
    Some prefer krill oil, which is similar in benefit, but carries a reduced risk of mercury contamination, since the chemical is often found in fish.

10. www.youtube.com/watch?v=FevPMI8_Hxo

A barcode time and attendance tracking system eases
    the operations of labor transaction data. The proposed name for the company
    must be approved first before setting up a Singapore company.
    A nominee director will not be involved in the management, operational, and financial matters of the company but are expected to perform the statutory requirements such as the submission of the income tax returns of the company;
    ensuring the accuracy of the company’s declaration; and giving an accurate declaration of income.

11. http://www.youtube.com

Depression hits every patient who wants to
    do surgery and it can come in the form of stress, trauma, fear, complications, and guiltiness, etc.

The more you know about the plastic surgery you want before you enter the plastic surgeon.
    As a matter of fact, if you suffer from health conditions which directly affect the immune system of the body, then you won.

12. ira backed gold

You have to do more, and less, to secure that comfortable retirement.
    If you decide to buy online it is important to follow a few research steps to ensure that the merchant is reputable.
    Being the prudent investor I thought I was, I purchased gold only to
    experience frustrating results.

13. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoTuaulqCLE/

Backlinks from pages containing higher than 50
    links. Who knows you may just get the site of your dreams and live happily everafter.
    You have to constantly work on building links through content
    marketing, targeting new keywords, tracking the latest trends, and more.

14. coiffeur visagiste va

On le sait, trouver un bon coiffeur à valenciennes n’est pas une chose aisée. Et pourtant, c’est possible. Elit-coiffure est le salon de coiffure valenciennes qu’il vous faut.

15. Rod Patronella

You can unquestionably see your experience within the function you write. The planet hopes for a lot more passionate writers like you who’re not afraid to mention how they believe. All the time comply with your heart.

16. body detoxification products

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest
    authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My site goes over a lot of the same topics as yours
    and I believe we could greatly benefit from each
    other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send
    me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog by the way!

For the best detailed explanation please jump over to this amazing
    site body detoxification products

17. omega-3 fatty acids

Hey, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility
    issues. When I look at your blog site in Opera,
    it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some
    overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
    very good blog!